Welcome to another year, I know we are all excited and prepared to make this year better than the last. Let’s not be cliche tho every day comes with its own troubles. The key is to give thanks to Jehovah the One who makes all things new.
… give thanks to Jehovah the One who makes all things new.
I see many people doing a recap of 2016 and all that, I’ve decided to do something different tho. At the inception of 2016, I compiled a list of trends that rocked in 2015 and I’ve decided I’ll be doing this compilation annually. Check it out below ICYMI.
Related Post – Trends: What Rocked In 2015?
It’s amazing how some trends survived from 2015 into 2016 and it doesn’t seem like they are going away any time soon.
Without further ado;
- Off-Shoulder Tops – This is definitely top on everyone’s list. Esspecially the ruffle style. I’m definitely making some more this year.
Related Post – 90’s Kool Keed (TFTT#4)
- Cold-Shoulder Tops – This is the younger sister to the trend above. This also rocked 2016 but not as much as the off-shoulder. I didn’t get the chance to jump on this early but I’m working on it and I hope it stays in 2017.
- Clear Aviators – This came all the wayyyy from 2015 alongside others retro eyewear and I waaaaanttttt it to stayyyyyyyy!
- Clear Cat-Eye Sunnies – This has also been around for a while, but the clear version really rocked in 2016.
- Head Wraps – These are total live savers and I’m grateful for them. I’m definitely rocking this till thy kingdom come.
6. Chokers – If you know me personally, I’ve always loved chokers even before they became a trend. I’ve rocked every type of choker except the shoe lace and the denim style, which I don’t ever see myself rocking BTW.
- Baseball Hats -2016 had to be the year of Baseball hats. They’ve been around in like forever but it seems people started to appreciate the schwegggg (SWAG) in 2016. I’m still planning to cop’ some more this year. You can also gift me one or two, I’ll be grateful.
- Exaggerated Sleeves – This was all over, especially during Fashion week. I see my self rocking tops and dresses with exaggerated sleeves ,especially BELL sleeves, come 2017.
9. Micro Pleats – Another style that’s been on the fashion scene forever, yet made a big comeback. This can stay in 2017 tho.
10. Fur slides – The unveiling of Rihanna’s (Fenty x PUMA) footwear line in collaboration with Puma really made the fur slides a trend. I think this should stay in 2016 tho.
11. Socks and Heels – This is a trend I’m not sure I’m ready to try, plus I feel some people overdid it. To be left in 2016 or nah?
12. Mules -2016 was the return of the granny/mummy shoes (that’s what I call mules). There were some that looked revamped and stylish, yet I’m not sure it’s my thing.
- Flared Pants – The 70’s came back and are ready to stay. This is one trend I really loved. Now I can wear my “Boot-Cut” jeans without looking super different. I waaaanttt yoouuu to stayyyyy!
Related Post – Pleats x Flares
14. Crochet Hair – The Hair Sector really made great improvements in 2016. The emergence of Crochet hair and braid wigs would definitely reduce the long hours spent at the salon . Plus there are different options to choose from. What more could a girl ask for? I’d just appreciate it if more hairdressers learn this method so the price can reduce abeg.
- Jellies – This was another trend that I loved. Especially because they were lifesavers during the rainy season and they also had a retro vibe to it (I mean I rocked jellies when I was in primary school and that’s over a decade now). They should totally stay in 2017.
16. Pom-Pom Earrings and accessories – I don’t even know why this is on the list. As I do not fancy them one bit, but they seemed to be a trend especially the accessory ladies attached to their bags and mobile phones. There were also tons of DIY earrings and even Pom-Pom shoes. I think we should give it a break tho, What do you think?
There are so many trends that were all over in 2016, but I had to pick the major ones. Frayed- Hem Denim and Outfits and Accessories with fringe detail were also big in 2016, let’s not forget that the Denim on Denim trend is here to stay and Ripped jeans are not leaving anytime soon.
Which trend(s) did you rock in 2016?
Which do you intend to keep rocking in 2017?
Which do you feel should be dropped in 2017?
I’d really love to hear from you.
Thanks for all the support in 2016, Lets’s make the best out of 2o17.
Hugs & Kisses,